The Institute of Physiology was founded in 1943 at about the same time as the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia (NAS RA). The Institute had a clear objective to continue the research in physiology, biochemistry and pharmacology that had been conducted at the University of Yerevan. Since 1959, it is named after the famous physiologist, academician L.A. Orbeli (L.A. Orbeli Institute of Physiology – OIPH). Over the years OIPH has been at the forefront of research in neuroscience and gave highly-ranked professionals in the biomedical sciences, namely brain research in Armenia.
Human Resources and Infrastructure
Total number of employees is 107, among them 1 Corresponding Member of NAS RA, 12 hold DrSc degree and 39 hold PhD degree. Institute of Physiology has 12 laboratories and 2 educational units – the Specialized Scientific Council in human and animal physiology and Young Scientists Council. Among service units are the Library, local Area Network and Animal House.
Institutional Research focuses on the following investigations:
- The study of neuronal and synaptic organization of brain stem motor nuclei;
- Neuronal organization of the central regulating mechanisms of the autonomic functions. Cortical and subcortical mechanisms of integration of the visceral systems;
- The study of synaptic mechanisms and neuromorphological patterns of pathologies of experimentally induced extensive and local deafferentation in various CNS structures;
- Mechanisms of neurohumoral regulations of vegetative functions;
- Mathematical modelling of neuronal network on the basis of functional properties;
- Morphological and cytochemical organization of neural and vascular systems;
- The study of mechanisms of spontaneous electrical activity in smooth muscle tissues;
- Psychophysiological investigation of learning and memory;
- The investigation, purification and standardization of physiologically active substances;
- The study of structure-functional properties of animals’ and plants’ venom peptides for designing novel therapeutic agents;
- Elaboration of apparatus complex for assessment of physiological state of biological systems;
- The study of synaptic activity of neuronal networks involved in memory processes.